Sunday, October 12, 2008

A Phase?

Chasey has been having a hard time going to bed lately, which is totally not like him. It started last week while we were out of town, so I chalked it up to being in a new place, sharing a room with his brother, weird naps, etc.

But today was normal, and he took a good nap...and he still screamed like I was torturing him when I laid him down for bed. What the hell?

Then I started thinking...it was about this age that Ian went through this phase from hell when he refused to go to bed. He would scream and scream and scream. We'd pat him and sing to him and rock him to no avail. We checked him for ear infections. Nothing. It took about two weeks for him to return to normal, but he finally did. I don't know what it was.

So, while I don't especially like that Chase is having such huge meltdowns at bedtime, and it's hard to hear him so upset...it is kind of comforting that he's going through a normal stage (although who knows what normal really is?).

2 comments:

jessica said...

You know, I always noticed with my girls (who are notoriously good sleepers) that they would just all of a sudden stop sleeping through the night or stop going down to bed easy and it would last for like a week, then BAM! They'd learn something new, like sitting up or crawling. Maybe Chase is having sleeping trouble because he's just learned all those new things! With any luck it will go back to normal in a little bit!

Anonymous said...

Your little bother went through this at the same age. I think it is separation anxiety. They now realize that you may not come back. He outgrew it at age 12 when he all of a sudden could not wait to leave our evil home.