Thursday, October 16, 2008

GI Chase

Went back to Jim today to get the results of Chase's biopsies from the scope a couple weeks ago. Is it just me, or does anyone else expect actual, real, definitive results from doctors? I guess I realize it's not an exact science, but it's pretty frustrating.

Trisomy 21= Down syndrome. Concrete. Definite. Proven by a little picture with all those little chromosomes lined up with the little arrow pointing to the extra guy.

Severe Inflammation of the entire GI tract= Well, it may be that he has too much acid. So we'll try Prevacid and see if it works. If it doesn't, there might be something else. We can test for it later. But it probably isn't, so we're not going to test now. But just so you know, he may have Autoimmune Gastroenteritis, which is as scary as it sounds, but probably not. So come back in 4 weeks and we'll see how he's doing.

I was just hoping for a "We found the problem. He has too much of this or too little of this. We're going to give him this medicine every day and it will be totally fine." Ah, well.

At least we know definitely that it is not lactose intolerance or celiac. ALl his little enzymes are doing their jobs. No one is missing or lazy. But here I am, guessing again about why my little dude can't digest a dang thing.

AND. Prevacid is freaking expensive. $50 a month! I asked the pharmacist about it, because it seems awfully pricey for an antacid. He said that it's normally $140. Right. Well. $50 a month it is. I'm going to look into a Target Pharmacy Buy 10 Get 1 Free punch card or something. Or maybe Fill 10 Perscriptions and Get a Free Shopping Trip voucher. Whatever you can get into your cart while your 10th scrip is being filled, you get for Free.

I'll keep you posted.

6 comments:

Mandi said...

I looked to see if the generic was on Walmart's list ($4 perscriptions) but of course it's not... Is there a generic brand that's less?

Angelle said...

Sucks about the diagnosis. I hope the Prevacid works, especially with what you are paying for it.

Anonymous said...

When Dad ran out of prevacid, the pharmacist suggested prilosec. Also, I think protonix os cheaper. Both are PPI's. Did a little internet search:

Without a Generic Prevacid, Are There Any Alternatives?

Prevacid is part of a class of drugs called proton pump inhibitors, or PPIs for short.
There are several types of PPIs available by prescription only, which include:


* Protonix® (pantoprazole)
* AcipHex® (rabeprazole)
* Nexium® (esomeprazole).


Also, while there is no "Prevacid generic," there is a PPI available without a prescription. This medicine is called Prilosec® (omeprazole).

Tiffanyrose said...

I love the punch card idea! I am sorry about the Prevacid being so expensive. They just started Kenna on Nexium, maybe Jim has an alternative medicine?
By the way, don't you love that we call him Jim?

Kacey Bode said...

$50 am month? Holy crap. Is that your copay on name brand prescriptions?? That totally sucks. Ella just got switched over to Prevacid and we pay $20 a month (which I thought was too much!) Sorry. And NO I no longer expect complete answers from doctors and honestly I think if I got one I wouldn't believe them : )

carydip said...

Laurie, go to this website:
http://www.prevacid.com/offers/beyondtheburn.aspx?process_code=156RSEM763&routing_code=R40&UID=
They offer $25.00 off Prevacid a month-it's a website by prevacid.
Also ask the Dr. if Chase can go on Prilosec-Trent & I both take that (family history?) and it's cheaper cause it has a generic called omeprazole.
Also ask if Chase can be on Nexium-for two reasons, IT not only cuts down on the gas but HEALS the inflammations. AND it's made by AstraZeneca, who you can apply to for FREE medication!! I got it free for awhile till I changed Drs who changed what I take. Hope this all helps. Hugs & Kisses
Love~Mom