Monday, February 4, 2008

Major Meltdown

Yesterday, after our wholesome family outing to the circus, we got home and Ian had a MAJOR MELTDOWN.

He's really not been one for tantrums. I mean, yes, occasionally I have to drag him out of the library kicking and screaming, but for the most part he gets mad and then gets over it. Usually.

And then there are afternoons like this one:

I don't even know what set him off or when it actually began. The details are fuzzy already. But Bryan was going to run to the store to get some Superbowl Junk Food. He asked if Ian wanted to go with him. Ian wanted to go, but wanted Mommy to go to the store, not Daddy. No, Daddy was going. Did he want to go? Yes. No. Yes. No. Yes. No.

Bryan starts to leave...Ian begins to cry because he does want to go. He gets to the car. Now he doesn't want to go. He turns around to walk back into the house. More crying. Because he wants to go with Daddy now. I put him into the carseat. He struggles against the buckle because he DOES NOT WANT TO GO WITH DADDY! He gets out. His feet don't even touch the ground before he starts freaking out because he wants to go to the store.

Bryan and I are laughing at first...it was like watching a ping pong match. But after standing in the driveway for ten minutes it started to get old. Bryan tells him that he's changing his mind so often that smoke is going to come out of his ears. That made him stop and laugh a little bit. Finally, we got him strapped into the seat and off they went.

4 minutes later, Bryan walks in the door, carrying a hysterical Ian. He didn't want to get out of the car at the store. Yes he did. No he didn't. Yes he did. No, he didn't. So they came home. No groceries.

I sat him down at the table with me while I fed Chase. He eventually sat in my lap and calmed down, meanwhile, Bryan slipped out to go back to the store (Hello?? We still needed junk to eat!!). All of a sudden, Ian realized that Daddy had gone to the store. Without him.

Oh, the Drama.

After some general freaking out, plus a few hits and kicks, and ultrasonic screaming, I carried him upstairs, potato-sack style and left him in his room. I told him that when he had calmed down, he could come downstairs and talk to me.

I listen to him beat the door/walls/furniture(?) for a good 5 minutes, accompanied by a very loud chorus of "MA MEEEEE! MA MEEEEE!" Finally, it quieted down (probably due to exhaustion) and I opened his door.

As soon as I opened it, he came BARRELING out like a caged animal. I caught him and told him he needed to talk to me before he went downstairs. ...and then he tried to push me back! I turned his little butt around and closed him back in his room.

Repeat of prior room tantrum antics.

When it was quiet again, I opened his door. He came out and hugged me and apologized. We had a talk. He was sorry he hit and screamed and kicked and pushed and made us sad. He wanted me to carry him downstairs. I picked him up. I took two steps...he starts sniffing hard- he wants to walk. I put him down, he does the monkey-cling to me. He wants to be carried.

Somehow we make it downstairs without another episode. When we get to the kitchen, he turns to me and asks, "Mommy, is there still smoke coming out of my head?"

Everything was normal for the rest of the night.

Oh, Lord.
Is this what being 3 is about?

11 comments:

Tom said...

Man, do you have a camera installed in our house? Silvi did the same thing yesterday (without the hitting - yet) when she was trying to decide whether she wanted to go to the grocery store with my wife.

And that's hilarious, the "Is there smoke..." Classic.

Rhiannon said...

I always thought the 3's were worse than the 2's when we worked at the CDC. I hope those meltdowns are few and far between!

Beth said...

I thought I left a comment - don't think it "took"!

That is too funny and I really needed to hear that someone else has these issues too! My 2 1/2 year old is notorious for these meltdowns lately - twice just today!
~Beth~

Angelle said...

I also thought the 3's were worse than the 2's. I was feeling bad for you while I was laughing my ass off. Not fun to deal with, but a funny situation.

The Schou Family Blog said...

That is so funny. Sorry but couldn't help but laugh. Hoping these tantrums/meltdowns are few.

Michelle said...

Oh, finding independence is tough! And loud!

And now that you have this story preserved in your blog, you can remind him of it when he's older!

Anonymous said...

I went through that with your little brother. Don't worry--it will resolve itself in about 15 years when he leaves home.

Emily said...

Oh ya, welcome to the 3's!

The term "terrible twos" is misleading, it causes you to believe that things will get better at that magical age of 3. Not so!

Later you will laugh about it, when the smoke clears from your head, hopefully...

Chris said...

Oh, I that is so funny! Poor little guy, what to do when the two things you want conflict with each other and mommy and daddy aren't giving in to make life perfect? Why you melt down.

I would have liked to have seen your husband when he got to the store and Ian wouldn't get out of the car.

Glad the evening ended on a good note. With my girls, five was the golden age.

Nice to hear that the boys can bring on the drama tool.

Christina said...

Wow...that scene sounds completely familiar. Zachary has about one of those a week. I thought it was because of our 3 month old but it might just be that he's 3! Boys:-)

Suzie said...

Laurie, all my text books for the Child Development class say that 3 is a transition time. Sorry to say, that age 3 is worse than age 2 (according to all the big wig theorists). Good luck with the Terrible 3's!! Don't forget to write notes for me for when it's my time!