Sunday, February 10, 2008

Happy 3rd Birthday, Ian!


Typical Ian.


Wow. I can't believe I've been a Mommy for 3 years now! In some ways it feels like Ian has always been a part of our lives, and in other ways it feels like it hasn't been all that long since the hospital let us take home the wriggling bundle and we had no idea what to do with him.

**Warning: Mushy Mom Ramblings**

So happy birthday, Ian. You make every day an adventure. Even when you are completely and totally exasperating, you make me laugh. I love that you are a spitfire. I love that sometimes you stand back and observe others before jumping into the fray. I love how you hold your friends' hands. I love how you sometimes kiss me on the lips, and other times hug and kiss my leg. I love that you ask questions about everything. I love how you yell at the top of your lungs, "I LAHVVVVVVVVVVV YAAAAAAA!" I love reading stories with you at night before bed. I love it when you surprise me in the morning when you come running down the hall into my bedroom (although it's not really that charming when it is before 5am). I love your independence, but hope that someday you will let me help you just a little bit when you need it. I love your enthusiasm for sports and the outdoors. I love watching you pedal your trike down the street (and how you are not afraid to ride it down hills anymore!). I love the (mostly) gentle touch you have with your brother, and am thankful that he has such an incredible big brother to look up to. I love your curiosity and your ability to see the amazing in the ordinary.

And today, I really, really, really love that you....POOPIED IN THE POTTY ALL BY YOURSELF!!! Hooray! No more pull-ups!!

Here are some pics from Ian's bowling birthday party today. Bowling with 12 children ranging in age from 2-12 really makes you slow down and well, just slow down. My, it takes a long time to bowl 10 frames with a group like that! Really, though, the kids were great, and we had lots of fun :) Afterwards, we had a pinata at the house, so everyone is sufficiently sugared up just in time for an early bedtime.




Those cupcakes are actually supposed to look like bowling balls...I tried! Flipping the pages on the jukebox was almost as fun as the actual bowling. Mike suggested that next year we just rent the jukebox instead of lane time.
Chase and his BFF Lindsay had time to chat and laugh while the big kids bowled. Ian was beside himself with anticipation for the pinata...we've never had one before, and he's been to several parties with them. We made him wait until the Larsens came home from church, and while everyone was preoccupied playing in the culdesac, Ian started "whacking the pinata" all by himself! Luckily, it wasn't too mangled to hang up later.

Thanks to all our wonderful friends who celebrated with us! We love you!!

5 comments:

Rhiannon said...

Happy Birthday Ian!!! Who won in bowling???

carydip said...

HAPPY 3rd BIRTHDAY IAN!! I can't wait to see you in just 6 weeks!! Love~Grama

Christeeny said...

Pooped in the potty?!?! What an awesome birthday present! LOL

I think Ian had a great 3rd birthday & we had a fun time yesterday! Thanks for having us.

Angelle said...

I loved being able to be a part of it. It's awesome to watch the kids hit milestones. I am almost as excited to see Ian and Chase grow and change as I am my own girls. We love you guys!

Poop in the potty, poop goes it the potty. The song must have hit its mark.

Mandi said...

I really hope you save these posts somewhere so when Ian is older he can read these. What precious words!