Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Rennaissance Festival

And as a last hurrah of the flurry of activities that I dragged the Boyens' to, we went to the Ren Fest in Concord on Sunday.

What a bunch of freaks. The Ren Fest people, not the Boyens :) No, really. Freaks in an entertaining way. Although it would have been a lot more fun if it wasn't melting outside. Again, I ask: Where is Fall?

Some highlights:
*Grace and I participated in a "Carriage Race" to the front gates (about ten people with babies in strollers running madly to a man wearing tights)


*The Dead Bob Show, in which he refers to Rule #2 as "Rule Number Poop". Potty humor, I know, but really, lots of my time is consumed with #2.

*Ian found the fairy from last year who gave out fairy rocks! Then he dropped his fairy rock under the stadium bleachers at the beginning of the joust...:( Bryan is an awesome Dad, though, and combed the grass for it and found it afterwards.



*Making the kids try on hats.



*We paid Seamus the Insulter to insult Bobby. Good times.

*Pictures of the kids in head cut-outs.



My blog-friend Kacey recently talked about how before she had Ella she either didn't see or didn't notice people with Ds in the community. I totally relate to that. I don't know if Chase has some magnetic Ds power or what, but I'm constantly noticing Down syndrome everywhere I go. Bryan and I saw a couple with a humongous triple jogging stroller at the fair during lunch time. There were 2 girls with Ds and a little "typical" boy. I wanted to go over and say something, but I just didn't know what. "Hey- Chase has 47, too!" "Hey- I have one of those!" "I'm Down with that!" Nothing seemed right. So I just watched from afar and wished I had the guts to do something.

Later I nursed Chase under a tree and as I was getting up, I was almost face to face with the gigantic jogging stroller again. I thought that this was destined to be now, so I ventured over to the mom and told her she had a beautiful family. I was holding Chase, but I never know if people "know" right away. I still find it hard to say, "My son has Down syndrome" sometimes- and it just didn't come out of my mouth. Eventually I made a comment about his Brushfield spots, and then she asked about his heart and if we had been at the Buddy Walk the day before. Apparently she was there, and is pretty active in the DSAC, but hasn't been around a lot since they were in India adopting their second daughter (also with Ds).

Anyway. She seemed super nice. I'm looking forward to seeing their family at other functions. Hm. The power of Chase.

3 comments:

Mandi said...

Insulting Bobby is always fun - Its interesting that you paid someone else to do it. :)

Christeeny said...

Ah the Renn Fest, definitely entertaining.

I saw the triple-stroller lady at the Buddy walk!!! There was only one girl in it & the other seats were filled with bottled drinks.

Grace said...

OK super blogger,you are making me look bad! I too am still recovering from the weekend.How is your neighbor?