Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Down syndrome Understanding

Today I took the kids to Target, because I am still delusional in that I think that I can get some shopping done while playing hide-and-seek with Ian in the clothing racks.

Chase woke up while we were in the dressing room (it had nothing to do with Ian poking his face, I'm sure). For the rest of the trip he talked. And talked. And talked. And he doesn't just do the baby blabbering thing. He kind of screams. The happy kind, but loud and screamy, all the same.

So this draws one of the Target ladies to us. I would tell you her name, but her nametag just said "New Target Employee." New Target Employee comes over and peeks into the stroller and says some generic "oh-you're-baby-is-so-cute" comment. Then she pauses, and looks a little closer, and exclaims, "Oh! You have a face just like my nephew's!" She continues with lots of "yes-you-do"'s and "you just have a little something extra special, don't you"'s.

Now, Chase has an awesome, special little smile, but sometimes it takes a little work to get it out. But I think from the time that NTE looked in on him until she finally went back to tagging merchandise, he was BEAMING at her.

She chatted with me about her nephew (who is 3) and how he is learning sign launguage right now, and how she teaches her son sign so that they can communicate. She said lots of other nice things, but I think what really touched me the most was the COMPLETE and TOTAL understanding that she had about Chase and I. I could tell that she knew the heartache, the worry, the disappointment, and the fear...but also the joy, the hope, the absolute wonder about what will be.

I think some people, even complete strangers, just have that it factor. That Down syndrome understanding, if you will. They don't necessarily need to be connected to the T21 community, but there's just something deeper underneath the surface than that generic, "Oh, you are so special" understanding.

Anyway. I love meeting those people. They feel like little T21 angels, just out and about, there to give me a boost every once in a while.

So, thank you New Target Employee. You totally made my day.

3 comments:

Mandi said...

I hope you get to see NTE more often. :)

Tom said...

That's a great thing to hear... wish it were the norm. Thanks for popping by my site and look forward to hearing more about another Ian!

Grace said...

Thats such a great story.I told you Chase just has that ability to draw people in. But it's those fake people that ruin it for all the genuinely kind ones!