Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Sweetest Thing

Sometimes we rush through life and never stop to really enjoy it. I had one of those moments tonight.

I'm home alone tonight- Bryan went to a Panthers game. So I did dinner with the boys, bathtime (where Ian insists on being the one to shower Chase with water every time), got them both in their jammies, and was ready to scoot Ian into bed, because, frankly, I was ready for some me time.

Then, Ian kept climbing into Chase's rocker, playing around with the baby books I keep on the nightstand. Just as I was about to say something like, "Stop playing around and get into your bedroom because it's late...", he told me that he was going to read Chase a bedtime story.

And he proceded to open "Kitten Games" (his absolute favorite when he was about 8 mos old). I almost, ALMOST said, "No- we don't have time for that." But then I thought about it. And I sat down on the ottoman with Chase. And we listened to Ian "read"- pretty accurately!- Kitten Games.

Beacuse, really, why don't we have time to sit and listen to a story? Especially one read so eloquently in such an adorable voice?

I keep thinking about that line (I think it's a Beetles song?)- Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans. How true, indeed.

So after Ian read the first book, the three of us settled into the rocker and we read 4 more stories. And I loved every minute of it :)

4 comments:

Becky said...

Sounds like a great night!

Angelle said...

I got teary just reading about it. Sometimes the unexpected make for the sweetest times. (Was that proper grammar?)

Jen said...

nice story, and a good reminder about the important things in life. it sure is easy to get caught up in the routine, isn't it? thanks for making me think about it.

Emily said...

Awww, moments like that make all the tantrums and messes worth it, don't they? They are so lucky to have each other.