Wednesday, October 26, 2011

31 for 21, Belated post about the Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad EC Meeting

This is a belated Tuesday post.

I went to a meeting for parents of children in the EC program with the county last night.  I went last year, it was pretty informative.  They had some good speakers, and I was able to talk with some therapists and get general information stuff.

This year there was supposed to be a parent speaking, but there was some issue and he didn't make it.  So they filled in his time slot with the "Transitions Coordinator" and her presentation about what to think about when your child is ready to transition from the school system to the real world.

Now, I don't know if I am the only one living in a bubble here...but I am not ready to think about that yet.  I don't want to look at a grocery bagger and say to myself, "Gee, I think my kids should do that when they grow up."  I don't want to hear that Quincy's is a business that welcomes people with disabilities as workers.  At this point, I don't want to imagine a fulfilling life as a busboy.

It may be reality someday, but right now I want to pretend that there is something more out there.  Maybe like that man who helps in the genetics counseling practice, or maybe they'll write a book.  Maybe they will be artists or musicians or speakers...I don't know.  I guess I just don't want specifics, or limits.  Or reality.

Anyhoo.  It seemed like I wasn't the only one who didn't want reality highlighted that evening.  There were at least 5 other parents in tears during the meeting.

I'm happy I wasn't one of them.  I save my tears for dinners out with my Ds Mommies.  That's the proper time.  Meetings like that are good for checking emails and downloading new apps on my phone.

1 comment:

charlotte said...

I don't know if you read it already, but check out http://www.myspecialks.com/ - its a great blog of a Mum to two little girls with DS and she's been doing an inspiring feature about accomplishments of people with DS for DS awareness month!!
Who says your boys can't achieve what ever they want to :)