Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Big Ian

I know it's my fault, but Ian rarely gets himself dressed on his own. He's totally capable, he's just lazy about it. Seriously, he takes so long to do it, it kills me!! So I end up holding open his pants so he can step in, putting his socks on, and mashing his shirt over his head just to save my own sanity.

But today, after he took a bath, I left him upstairs with his pile of clothes while I fed William and Chase downstairs. After I fed the babies, I went upstairs to check on him, totally thinking that I would see his little naked butt still in my bed watching Lazy Town (sidenote: I sooo hate that show)-- but there he was, dressed and smiling at me!!!

Cue Hallelujah Chorus

I was so proud of him. He did it without whining, without me riding his every move, and on his own little time frame without driving me nuts. I know I need to let go more, and I am trying. I just think it's so awesome to see him take on more responsibility for himself.

Oh, and another thing, 2 days in a row he has helped me (actually helped me) unload the dishwasher!! Could a mom be any more proud??

2 comments:

Cate said...

That is excellent! It is cool to see them becoming bigger people, isn't it?

I hate Lazy Town too. I think we'll be reading tabloid stories about that girl someday. But did you know one of the guys is some big fitness guru in Iceland? Strange.

Jen said...

Sometimes, their "own little time frames" just don't fit into reality, though. And a girl just has to take matters into her own hands.

Can he come teach Eli? I mean, Eli is capable of dressing himself, but he just won't. He'd lay around all day naked and sucking his thumb if I'd let him. Sometimes I do because I'm too tired to care. :)