Friday, November 9, 2007

6 Month Ped Appt

Ped appointment update (from yesterday):

weight: 17lbs 1 oz
length: 26 3/4 in

90%-ile (on Ds chart) for both height and weight!

Everything is looking great. I brought up my concerns about his eating (or lack thereof) solid foods. They don't stay down. She thinks it may be due to low muscle tone, but she's going to set up an appointment to see a gastroenterologist (sp?) to make sure there's no problem. That makes me feel better.

Also, she's going to look into the treadmill training for kids with DS. I read that you can start as early as 6 months in some instances. It would be nice to have a perscription for a nice treadmill...maybe Chase won't be the only one that uses it.

And she's going to request speech therapy, which I've been campaigning for through the county, but the caseworker tells me that they don't ever even evaluate kids for ST until they turn one. Kind of hard to be proactive that way, isn't it?

So, all in all, good.

5 comments:

Tiffanyrose said...

Hey, he is rocking those charts!! I hope the he gets his prescription for the treadmill so the you, I mean he, can use it.How does that work for him using the treadmill anyway?

Jen said...

Maybe you can use Chase's issues with solid foods to get early speech therapy. Evan was young when he started ST, like 3 or 4 months, because we were having issues with the bottle. Like, he refused to drink out of one and would only breastfeed. So we were able to get a speech evaluation, pronto. Maybe you can try something like that?

Michelle said...

Ruby saw a ST when she was days old, for help with her nursing. I think you're right - be proactive!

Keep us posted on what the dr. says about the treadmill!

Rhiannon said...

Glad he had a good appointment. Does he not like the solids or does he throw it up? Keep us updated on what the gastro doc says.

Melanie said...

Wow, he is also a big boy!
Logan's not keeping his solids down either. I don't give them to him every day, but when I do he gags a lot or throws them all up. He also won't take a bottle. He just doesn't get his mouth on it right and then he cries.
Logan has had speech since about 2 months old. They don't do much for him now, but they still come.
I plan on trying the treadmill too! Let me know what your doctor says.