Monday, April 7, 2008

A Search

I'm reluctant to post about this. But Bryan and I have been church-hunting. Huh. After I typed that it sounds like witch-hunting, but what I really mean to compare it to is house-hunting.

I think we've found a place that calls to us. We're going back next Sunday.

Coming from two families very embedded in classic church traditions (sit, stand, kneel, repeat) it is difficult to immediately embrace a church such as Elevation. But the message, oh, the message, speaks so clearly to me. And, I hope, to Bryan. It was a rock concert with a message. It was down and dirty salvation. It was snap you out of your lives, look at what you could have Christianity.

Really. I know, I know. Eyeballs rolling. Whatever. It's different from what we've been about forever. BUT. It feels good. It feels right. It feels like we need to give it an honest to goodness, no holds barred chance.

So, we'll see. One step at a time. Check it out. Tell me your thoughts. Anything goes.

8 comments:

Kim A said...

That is awesome!! We have heard some great things about this church. We were introduced to Elevation a year ago or so at a Lake Park Event. All I can say is go with what your heart tells you to do.

Cate said...

I think it's a good thing.

And don't be reluctant to post about it! I'm interested in hearing how it goes...church is one thing my family doesn't do very well. And I wish we were better at it, but it's hard to get it right. Good luck!

Grace said...

Well you know how I feel about this one. Faith,fellowship,friends,forgiveness, God's word??? It's what your family needs. Great step in the right direction.Now I just need to do the same thing.

Mindy said...

Go for it!!! I spent my entire life in my dad's church (he's a pastor) Very small, VERY conservative, it has to be this way or its wrong, kind of church and Roger and I left there (one of the hardest things we've ever done) and went to a contemporary (yet doctrinally sound) church. Best move we ever made. We hadn't realized how dead we were spirtitually. The new church propelled us in our daily walks and help to re-energize our life. We still took some flack from the fam, but it has been totally worth it. We jump out of bed on Sunday mornings now. What a difference!!!! Can't wait to hear how it goes!!!

Tiffanyrose said...

Does it make you happy? Do you feel welcomed? Do you feel the love of your Heavenly Father? I think that the answer to all of these is a resounding yes. I believe that you two can find peace as a family and help you grow spiritually. Go for it and embrace it! I am so happy or you!!

LeShayne said...

The church looks awesome but more than that I am so excited to hear that you guys are searching and may have found a home! Grace summed it up perfectly.

Todd Maddex said...

Man...that church looks very cool! We went to another church that was more rock-concerty before our current one and I do miss that part of it sometimes. Elevation looks very new age and exciting. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Holly said...

I know we don't really know each other, but I do enjoy reading your blog. I went to the church's site and read all of their basic beliefs and they are definitely Bible-based. All of the beliefs listed were things I've read in the Bible and have heard all of my life in church. Grew up Baptist, but have been attending a non-denominational church since I graduated college. Looks like a wonderful church! It's great to find a church you can really be excited about...one you actually look forward to going to on Sunday mornings, even if it means you have to get up earlier to get the kids ready and out of the house on time. :)