Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A Minivan Kind of Mom

Well, I knew I couldn't escape it forever.

We went shopping for a minivan last night. Yipes.

Really, it's not so bad. It's kind of like driving your living room around town. And I do like my LazyBoy...

Bryan's little sporty car is ready for it's second transmission/clutch replacement/issue in 2 years, so we're really not wanting to put another $2K of work into it. And we take lots of car trips. And it's getting harder to fit all of our junk in the Santa Fe. And it would be nice to be able to fit both Ian and Leah and Chase in the car so I could do some carpooling to preschool with Angelle...

We went to CarMax last night and test drove an Oddessy and a Grand Caravan (with both children...which was ok until it was almost 8 o'clock and we hadn't had dinner yet and CarMax doesn't give out balloons to keep restless children occupied like the Hyundai dealership does). The Oddessy was definitely nice, but $8,000 nicer? I'm thinking that I could use that money elsewhere and driving a Caravan would still feel pretty good. Also, we wanted to look at maybe a used Hyundai Entourage because generally I like our cheapo Hyundais...Anyone have any input on any of those vans? We're looking at 2006 models (2007 for the Entourage).

In other semi-related news, I'm going to start watching kids again at home. We could use the extra income (especially now that we'll have car payments again), and I'm mostly stuck at home all day anyway with Chase's crazy 4 therapy/week sessions plus 2 naps a day. I just met Logan and his mom this morning, and he'll be starting on Monday probably. He's 20 months old, and Ian is totally thrilled to have him at the house. Although I think Ian thinks of Logan more like a pet than another little kid. He asked Logan's mom today, "Um, can you leave him here? Because I think I need another little friend to play with." In September, I'll start watching Will, who will be 3-ish months old. So I'll have an infant, a 1 yr old, a 2 yr old, and a 3 yr old AT THE SAME TIME. Maybe I should start studying the Duggars...

8 comments:

Cate said...

Minivan! I hear that once you take the plunge, they're actually pretty nice.

Not that I secretly want one.

But, you know, report back.

Have you looked at Kia? We had one of their vans as a rental and I was impressed.

Good luck with the child-watching. At least they're not all yours...Mrs. Duggar is a nut.

Tiffanyrose said...

We could combine your 4 with my 5 and add Angelle's 2 and we could have almost 18. I mean heck, wouldn't we just all live outside in the open and let them play anyways? Aren't we all one happy family anyways.. a Polygamist type family!!! Multiple wives and hubbies.

Grace said...

hey-welcome to my world of mini van driving and daycare watching! It's not so bad-I only twitch about once a week now since I gave up my crack pipe!

Angelle said...

Yikes, Tiff, 18? It will be fun in the fall to see them all outside playing.

I didn't realize you had one of each year, it will be like a circus!

LeShayne said...

Well I openly want a minivan so yay for you! I am hoping to look in Sept, let us know what you find out. We drove a rental Town n' Country and a rental Caravan. We had more features on the Caravan so I personally liked it better.

As for the child watching - while I could not do it props to you. Added income is always nice and I know you were fantastic at it.

Kacey Bode said...

You are brave, that is a lot a little kids : )

So, I am a minivan driving dork and drive a 2005 Caravan. It's so nice once you get past the fact that it is a van. The stow and go seats are the best!!!

Rhiannon said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Don't do it!!! You don't have to drive a minivan!!!!

Mandi said...

You know, if you're worried about the minivan status stigma, you can always get a 'crossover'. it's just a nice way of saying minivan/station wagon. Either way it's an easier kid toter. and really, what's wrong with that?