Thursday, July 23, 2009

Chase and his Big Boy Bed

The transition to the twin bed for Chase has been a little roller-coastery.  Some nights he's fine, others he gets up 2 or 3 times just to wander around the second floor to check things out.  Sometimes he lays in bed and falls asleep when we leave him after stories, other times he mischeiviously leaves his room, shutting the door behind him, and pokes his head around the corner with a big grin on his face a few times before we have to close him in the room.

His crib is still in there as an insurance policy...mostly for naps, as I can't keep running up and down the stairs with 4 others to watch and keep from killing each other.  But naps have been better, and for the last week or so, he's been taking his naps in the big boy bed.

But just a few minutes ago, I laid him down, said good night, and left the room.  He got up and out before I reached the stairs.  So I shooed him back in bed, did the whole routine again, but this time shut the door.  He usually doesn't like that, but lately has been pretty much indifferent to it.  This time, he didn't mind, so I totally thought that he was tired enough not to care, and would be fast asleep within minutes.

Not so.  I heard a bonk.  I went upstairs... Chase is sitting, perfectly happy and content, in his rocking chair, reading "That's Not My Puppy."  It is really hard to enforce things like that, though, because on one hand, he should be in bed because that's what I told him to do.  On the other hand, can I really punish him for reading a book?  And the smile on his face...impish, but at the same time, completely oblivious that he is doing something he shouldn't be.  Wish I had my camera on me...it was priceless.

1 comment:

Chris said...

It sounds like he is doing great in his big boy bed--all things considered. Would have loved to have seen a pic of him reading in his rocking chair. Too cute!