Monday, December 7, 2009

Hiatus

Yes, we are still alive. No, we haven't been swallowed by Ian's swollen lip or followed Chase running off into the sunset never to return.

My computer died. My sweet (albeit keyless) Dell mysteriously does not have an operating system anymore, which makes it really difficult to do anything on it except wonder what the hell happened to it. I have the big TV computer, but frankly, it is very hard to type on the keyboard and read it on the TV screen without standing in the middle of the living room to look at it. Plus, some people around here think that every time the TV is on, it should be playing Jack's Big Music Show, and they will whine "...Jaaaack...?" over and over until I surrender the remote.

All of that makes blogging really difficult.

Anyway. We are fine. Ian's lip is healed, Chase is saying more words, and Gavin is perfect, in that he doesn't run away or talk back to me.

Our biggest issue right now is sleep. Deprivation, that is. Gavin is still up twice a night or so, and for the last 4 nights, Ian has been up in between Gavin's feedings for one reason or another. He was actually in our bed almost all night a few nights ago, which made for an awesome night of sleep for all parties involved. Gavin thought there was some sort of party last night and was wide awake, um, all damn night long, just as happy as could be. I was, in turn, not as happy. Nor was Bryan, who took the midnight-2am shift. I am at a loss, and just go to bed every night anxiously awaiting the first cry. Who will it be? What will they want? Can I squeeze in 2 hours of uninterrupted time, or shall I just expect small power naps from midnight-5am? It is exhausting. I am tempted to stop nursing just to be able to drink unlimited amounts of caffeine to survive the days...but as of now, I am thinking it is just a really awful stage, and am remaining hopeful that it will end before I fall asleep in the car line at preschool or standing up at the sink doing dishes.

Christmas shopping is in full effect, and I am on treasure hunts to find the best craigslist/thrift store/consignment shop deals that I can. Penny saved is a penny earned, right? There are no Christmas decorations up because the house is a giant mess from the laminate floor project. Bryan has 1/2 the dining room and the foyer done. All that is left is the living room, the kitchen, and the family room. Only, like, 1,000sq ft left. Totally doable. ...right? It does look beautiful, though, and I am looking forward to having floors that don't tell the story of every meal my kids have eaten or every piece of outside that has been tracked in. It will be awesome. Eventually. Right now I just pretend that the entire front half of my house doesn't exist.

Anyhoo. Back to the kids. Chase and William are uncharacteristically quiet in the playroom. ...wonder what is going on in there? It can't be good if it is that interesting...

No comments: