Monday, February 21, 2011

Oatmeal On-the-go Bars: A total win.

The boys normally start their days off with a fruit smoothie with JuicePlus and some protein powder in it, but I also like to make a big batch of Raisin Bran muffins or something each week to be able to have a super quick, but relatively healthy something to throw at them when we are running late, or need an afternoon snack or something.

I like the idea of granola bars, but I don't like the idea of paying out the nose for the good ones, and I haven't loved any of the homemade granola bars, because they turn out sticky and hard to chew, crumbly, and simply a big old mess and a lot of work for not a lot of result.

But HELLO!  This morning I tried this recipe for Oatmeal On-the-go Bars, and they are winners.  Not too sweet, not sticky, and Ian and Guy gobbled them up.  I subbed a 1/2c of wheat germ for the almond meal, and baked them for exactly 30 minutes.  They turned out of the pan with no problem, and they are soft and chewy, and remind me of a bowl of apple-cinnamon oatmeal.

This recipe is definitely making it into the official rotation.  In fact, I probably have to make another batch of them today since we ate almost all of them already, and it is not even noon yet.

Also- this blog, Cooking with My Kid, is awesome.  I'm trying the Crunchy Roasted Chickpeas next.

1 comment:

Angelle said...

STOLEN! Those sound GREAT!