Tuesday, January 5, 2010

2010 Resolutions

I will forget them if I don't write them down. (Who am I kidding? I will forget them even IF I write them down, but I like to think that they will stay through the year!)

1. I will slow down and enjoy my family. So many times I feel like I am consumed with taking care of everyone instead of enjoying them. I want to try and find a balance. I know- the impossible dream.

2. I will simplify and organize. We have too much stuff. Too much. It is overflowing every cabinet and closet. I want to take truckloads of things to Goodwill.

3. I will eat better. I am a sugar addict. I eat terribly. I finish off the kids' leftovers and call it a meal. Not acceptable!! I feel crappy, and I know that is why. I also have the urge to eat vegan. Jonathan Foers was on Ellen the other day and made some very valid points about not only the treatment of animals in factory farming (where most of our meat comes from) but also the detrimental environmental effects of factory farming. I investigated a little further and found out lots of things that really made me want to lessen my impact on that industry. Not to mention, eating less meat and more veggies is healthier. I'm not saying that I will never have a piece of chocolate or a bowl of ice cream again...or even one of my Dad's a.maz.ing steaks...I'm just saying that I want to make animal products very much sometimes foods, and I will probably in the future look to local farms for animal products (Bryan and the kids are not quite on board with the total vegan lifestyle yet). More to come about this subject.

I have other things that I want to do this year, but I feel like if I list them, then I will be inherently canceling out #1. I will just put a list of maybes, if I have time:
*knit stuff (and finish them!)
*work out a little (if I can only find the weight bench that is buried out in the garage...)
*get a job and find a balance between being a mom and being a teacher
*plan my weekly dinner menus ahead of time instead of standing in front of the fridge at 5PM wondering what I can throw together to make a meal in 30 minutes (it's like my own Rachel Ray show here every night!)
*get my Bible groove back on (I did finish the B90X challenge...but now I miss the daily reading. I would like to find a daily devotional that I like. It is calming and inspirational.) I guess I should move this one to the official list of resolutions. I just reread this post and feel badly that I put "reading the Bible" on my list of things to do if I have time.


Alright. I feel better having those on paper. I am off to begin purging my house while Gavin naps and the big guys are at school.

3 comments:

LeShayne said...

There is FANTASTIC women's study called Having A Mary Heart in a Martha World - its a how to for your 1st resolution mixed with bible reading to support the how to's it presents. I have to reread every once in awhile to remind myself to enjoy the moment!

Anonymous said...

Nicely done - not too much, balanced.

Our teen is vegetarian and I agree with more plant foods but I don't buy the reasoning for mistreatment of farmed animals. I'm an omnivore. It's a circle of life kind of thing. ;)
Barbara

mom said...

Know what is scarey? You just will not be able to do all you do if you are
a) gone from the house from 7 am to 4pm and
b) have homework to do after the kids go to bed.

SIMPLIFY NOW! Be ready for the "working Mom" world by this Fall!