Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Differences Between the Firstborn and the Lastborn

I think that the birth order studies are so interesting.  I really think that there is a behavioral pattern due to birth order.

Take today, for instance.

Ian, when he was Guy's age, really didn't push limits. I mean, yeah, the occasional defiant behavior, but for the most part, if I said something, he listened.

Then, take Guy, who just asked me for a banana.  I told him that we were having dinner in a few minutes, and that he needed to wait on the banana.  I went back to what I was doing, and 3 minutes later he stands next to me and says, "Hey, Mommy!  Look!"  And I turn around, and he's standing there with a banana, looking straight at me as he opens it, peels it, and takes a bite.  All with a little smirk on his face.

It's so weird. It's defiant, yes, but not in a malicious way.  It's like he needs to show his independence or something- he wants to show off how big he is, or that he can do things all by himself, whether we like it or not.  And he also knows that he is incredibly cute when he does it.

Admittedly, it's a lot of my fault.  I give in a lot, but many times I let him get away with it because I initially thought he wasn't able to do something on his own, and it turns out that he can...so why make a big deal about it?

Anyway.  I'm not really going anywhere with this.  I just think it's interesting.

No comments: