Monday, June 18, 2007

Confessions

1. My newborn has Down syndrome, and I'm mostly ok with it. I just wanted to get that out of the way first.

2. I have 2 kids, but it still feels weird saying that.

3. I was a teacher in my life before kids.

4. My husband works amazingly hard for our family.

5. I love being a stay at home mom. Screw women's lib.

6. I have issues with control over stupid things, like what my kids wear.

7. It's hard for me to be around pregnant women right now.

8. I love food.

9. I love reality TV.

10. I'm 27, and yet I actively maintain a myspace account.

11. I am a terrrible procrastinator. I'm supposed to be finishing my graduate portfolio right now, in fact.

12. I buy lots of things online. Sometimes I don't tell my husband about them...



OK. I'm running out of random things to tell you about. Looking forward to blogging more...it's cheaper than therapy :)

5 comments:

Cate said...

I am right there with you on 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 11 (minus the portfolio) and 12. And on blogging being cheaper than therapy.

I love TV, but not necessarily reality TV.

At 34, I am too old for myspace. It scares me.

Melanie said...

Wow...I think we could be great friends...
Besides our kids being the same ages...I am 27 too! Weird!
I got Logan's 6 month pics taken yesterday...well I have to say I was a little disappointed, but I will get over it. I will post them later so you can check them out. He didn't want to smile and we were there for 2 HOURS. Also, he could sit up, although they made it look with he could. I bought the pictures anyway and I plan to take him back when he can sit up and smile more.

Melanie said...

I meant he couldn't sit up...oops.

Erin said...

So I know that this post is say, three years old, but when I find new blogs I go to the beginning, because that is where I am at now, I am due on Feb 24th with DS baby boy, grady wayne. But I was intrigued by one of your comments: that you dont like to be around pregnant women right now? .... I feel that way too, and I never expressed it before, but I am wondering where you were coming from... Your family is precious, thank you for sharing your story.

Laurie said...

Hey Erin,
I hope you check back for this answer :)

At that point, while I was writing this post, Chase was still very new, and I was still very new to this whole Ds thing (we did not know prenatally). I guess that being around pregnant women represented everything that I wanted but didn't have anymore. I wanted to be blissfully unconcerned about my child's health and abilities, and on some level I know that I was incredibly jealous of those women who did not have to deal with Ds, with that feeling of uncertainty, or even the feeling that something wasn't perfect in my life. I guess, in a way, I also wanted to rewind time and go back to the time when I was pregnant and wasn't being hit in the face with Ds anymore.

That all sounds really terrible now, but it was what I honestly felt. Now, 2 1/2 years later, I don't feel that anymore. Really. Chase is surpassing our every expectation...and even if he wasn't, he is teaching us to slow down and appreciate life the way it is. I wouldn't trade him for anything- he is the coolest little kid and he makes everyone smile.

Glad you are reading, Erin. I would love to read about your journey with Grady.