Wednesday, March 16, 2011

'Twas the greatest mix-up cookies

In preparation for "Leprechaun Day" - as Ian calls it, I'm in the kitchen baking cookies.



I don't know about any of you, but my parents instilled a giant love for folk music.  It can't be normal.

My brother and I grew up listening to records from the Irish rovers, the Limelighters, and the Kingston Trio.  So much so, that I pretty much can sing along to the Irish folk groups playing in any Irish pub that we end up in.  It also makes me break out into weird songs at the mere mention of partial lyrics in conversation.

I think the title of my family life growing up would be "Meech: The Musical".

Anyhoo.

Today's cookies are tweaked for St. Paddy's Day tomorrow (we have to have something to put in our Leprechaun trap tonight, right?).  They are inspired by one of my favorite Irish folk songs-- you can listen to it here while you bake:


Me Father He Was Orange, And Me Mother She Was Green Cookies

INGREDIENTS:
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 t orange extract
DIRECTIONS:
1.Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
2.In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients. Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls, and place onto ungreased cookie sheets.  Flatten slightly with the bottom of a small glass dipped in green sugar.
3.Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.

No comments: