Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Odds and Ends

You know, its not that I don't have anything to write about here. It is just that I can't sit down to focus on any one thing. Motherhood and Life are just euphemisms for multitasking, I believe.

*Chase's intake meeting for preschool is in less than a month. Chances are he will be going full time, 5 days a week. I am a little intimidated, mostly because with a basically non-verbal child, I will have close to no idea what he is doing with 8 hours of every day. I trust the teachers. And the therapists. It is just a little bit sad to me. On the other hand, Chase is the busiest kid I have ever seen, and he wears me out. He is cute when he is doing it, but it may be nice to let him wear someone else out for a while. I'm ok with that.

But do you know what is sad? The therapists that have been coming to the house once a week for 3 years...they won't be coming anymore! And not only has Chase developed a relationship with each one, they are my friends! (Carol, we will have to get together every once in a while!)

*Ian had his Transformers birthday party. I have photos, I am just too lazy at 7am to go get the camera and upload them. They will be coming. It was good fun :) And now my baby is 5 and ready to go to school. The big school, as he calls it.

His newest obsession is MarioKart, which I have to admit, he is quite good at for being a little guy. Gone are the days when we could give him a wii-mote with no batteries and convince him that he was driving as we played. It's good, though. He is becoming such a boy.

*Gavin crawls around the house with curiosity and fascination. He loves to play with anything that is not a toy; power cords, shoes, old balloon ribbons, large marbles, remotes, phones, pieces of old food that Chase hides under the couch. He is such a 3rd child. I spend most of my day cleaning the floor for prohibited items.

Twice yesterday I went into his room to get him up from nap and he was standing in his crib, looking at me as if to say, "I'm just as big as those other guys, see Mom?"

He does this thing where he is, for all intents and purposes, completely asleep in my arms, and then if I make the slightest move, he begins bouncing and laughing and making this funky growling sound, his eyes full of delight. Like he is trying to trick me or something. You totally thought I was asleep, didn't you?! Ha!

*Bryan and I have used the couple warmer days recently to start our gardening and bee-ing this year. Can't wait to actually see some results and be better at it this year than last. Bryan is talking about 10 more bee hives...on other people's property :) Two are fine here, but more than that is just asking for curious kids (well, mainly just Chase).

*Also- still vegan here. Almost 2 months now. Bryan and the kids are bad vegetarians at best, but everyone feels good about making better food choices. I have lots more to say about that, but I will save it for another post. If you can't possibly wait until I get around to that, go check these books out at the library. It will make you think about what you are putting into your body (and not just from a PETA perspective...from a well documented, fact-checked, well thought out source-- I think everyone should read them): Skinny Bitch, by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin, and Eating Animals, by Jonathan Safran Foer. It will also make you think about what you are feeding your kids- eye.opening.


Time to rouse the children. Why is it that on the weekends I can't get them to sleep past 6:30am, but on school days I have to drag Ian off his loft at 8am?


No comments: