Monday, July 2, 2007

OT, Round 2

The OT was so nice- she had another opening today and called to see if Chase was awake so we could try again. He was- I told her to hurry up!

He did great- tracking toys visually, turning his head toward sounds, and had good tummy time with his head way up for a long time (I was trying to time it- I think it was longer than 30 seconds!).

But here is my question: What am I supposed to be doing while she works with him? I sit on the floor with them, make comments and talk to Chase. But am I supposed to? I feel like I'm interfering sometimes- like he'll look at me rather than the toy she's dangling in front of him. Is that ok?

I feel like I do all the same things with Chase that the OT does, and since I do, does that mean I don't really need them to come out? I hate to refuse services- I kind of want to take advantage of everything that they are willing to give Chase for free...but at some level it's kind of an inconvenience (i.e. trying to guesstimate his schedule for the day and feeling crappy when he's not ready to work when his appointment comes around...).

I'll keep up with all the therapists for now and see how it goes. I'm sure it will get easier once he's napping more on schedule...whenever that is... :)

1 comment:

Cate said...

I wouldn't cancel the services, because maybe they'll be more useful later.

Can you just ask her what you should be doing? I am freaking clueless about the whole EI thing, actually the whole DS thing, and I've just started telling everyone that. Brutal honesty works.

She might say you should leave them alone and then you can go read a magazine or something.